Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Barn Blind

How to you tell an owner that his prize race horse can't run a stumbling jump? Believe me, it ain't easy!!

A guy brought us a horse that was definitely race bred, and had been two four trainers already with no positive results. Positive results meaning that no money was being made when the horse ran. So, my husband gave it his best shot, and it soon became obvious that when this animal was conceived, in spite of his pedigree, his genetic racing ability got left out.

The man refused to believe it could be true. We tried repeatedly to send the horse home and save him money, but he stubbornly said to keep trying. Well, since I always did the stall cleaning, feeding, etc. - I am of the opinion that it doesn't take any more time, effort, and feed to take care of a horse that can run than one that cannot. So, we set up a little match race between his horse and our pony horse, Custer, age 23, with me riding Custer in a stock saddle.

That was the only time I ever won a horse race with me as the "jockey". He finally agreed and took the horse - but not home - to another trainer to try one more time. He said if that didn't work he was going to stand him at stud. Makes you wonder why he would want to breed more of the same, but it was his horse, his call.

No comments:

Post a Comment